Sunday, November 27, 2011

Some New Running Digs... Asics (again)


I just picked them up today - a pair of Asics GT 2170. Notice the Nathan sensor holder for my Nike+ gizmo/iPod Nano? The first thing I did was slap that holder onto those laces!

I keep making the Snail's Pace employees put me through the paces on the pressure pad and treadmill, although this time they were on to me. I should have spaced my visits a little farther apart! I don't know what it is with me, but I just have to keep reaffirming my running gait/pronation-type so I can get it in my head that I'm running in the appropriate shoes.

What was different today (I'm usually pestering the Road Runner Sports folks) was that the Snail's Pace pro said I have a slightly more pronounced overpronation on my right foot strike, as opposed to my left - which appeared to be close to neutral, and also evidenced by the wear on my running shoes (I always bring them with me as evidence when I claim I'm both a supinator and an overpronator! ...well, that's not really how it is, but it's a great conversation starter). So this was the first time I've heard this - I'm used to hearing, "you're a moderate overpronator and you need this shoe because it's built to fix that and oh, by the way, that'll be $150 gabillion dollars." Instead, it was more like, "you're overdoing it with the (Asics) Kayanos - you just need slight to moderate support given all the other factors." A cheaper shoe, in other words, would do the trick.

My choices came down to the Asics GT 2160 or 2170, and the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11 or 12... the latter models being the 2012 model lineup. Okay, they're not that cheap, but better than paying the ransom for a more technical shoe than I needed. The noticeable difference between the Asics 2160 and the 2170 was how light the 2170 felt over the 2160 (different EVA material) - and the heel strike felt very comfortable, similar to the Brooks Adrenaline 11 and 12. In the end, I'm still an Asics fan so of course... well, you know how it turns out. It's Holiday Savings Month at Snail's Pace so that meant a $20 discount off my next pair of running shoes at Snail's Pace! Two words: Ya & hoo. I'm going to pick up the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 12 when I return - they felt great, too, but I need to ease into new things - plus, I don't want them to recognize me when I ask them to put me through the paces again!

Less than six days to the Zappos Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas 1/2 Marathon! Probably not a good time to be substituting new shoes into the running lineup, but I'll bring these along as my backup pair. Always have to have a backup!

No comments:

Post a Comment