Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"Ouch" ...not just another four letter word

It's been a near four days of rest since my last run (recovering from a knee injury - FYI in case you're not one of my two readers) and so I was determined to put in a solid 10K run tonight - and believe me, I was looking forward to 6.2 miles of running bliss! It was a little late, but the temps were relatively cool - still plenty of light but I knew I would be ending the run close to complete darkness. 

It was a fairly rough run to begin with - just some slight discomfort with the knee and feeling the burden of an easy-going lifestyle of the past week ...that was kind of a joke, but you know what I mean. By mile 5 it was pretty dark and for some reason, most of the street lights were out on my side of the street. As soon as I lit up the sidewalk with my small LED flashlight, I heard a loud male voice yell out "Ouch!" - almost as if it was coming from directly behind me... ...wait, that was me! Whew... but ouch. My knee is pretty much done as far as any upcoming marathon is concerned. I keep saying that, don't I?! I think I'm constantly trying to convince myself that it's for my own good and that I need to listen to what's going on with that knee... yet, I'm so fixated on running Malibu.

I read once from a marathoner that the biggest disaster he made was his unwillingness to readjust his goals prior to a race. "Seemingly small issues can have a major impact." Ultimately, the snowball effect takes over when we could have stopped that calamity just a short distance into it. So, time to scale down and rest. Then resume training for my upcoming Holiday Half in December. I can't say that I'm not disappointed, but as I mentioned before, it's all a learning process.

You know, I need to include more pictures because it's kind of boring without pictures in a post, isn't it?

So how's your walk/run/cycle/swim week coming along?

No comments:

Post a Comment