Saturday, October 29, 2011

Being impatient and waiting to heal... they don't go well together!

Yesterday (Friday) was day 5 of rest for me - yikes, talk about feeling antsy to go for a run! My knee was feeling 95% - okay, maybe 90-ish percentile-wise, but I wasn't feeling any discomfort in the knee so I figured, hey, why not take it for spin? Sure...

So after finishing work, I went downstairs and hit the treadmill in our fabulous gym - which isn't too "fabulous" by the way, ever since the thermostat's been broken and it warms up to a balmy 84 degrees in there! But I was a desperate fool and wanted to run without any hills and zero incline. Just something flat, straightforward, without the need to jump a curb or sidewalk and to keep a steady, easy pace. Soooooo...  it was a nice success! I thought I was only going to be able to run a 5K, but my knee started to feel even better as I continued at my pace, and before I knew it, I was coming up to mile 5. What? Okayyy! I had 5 miles in my head the entire time! It's so difficult to lie about those things. What can I say... I really needed to run at least 5 and I would have powered out a 10K, but better judgement got the best of me and I decided that was enough of a trial run. But it sure felt great to do that!

After getting back home (and practically sitting on an ice block underneath my knee), I felt that darn pressure behind the patella again and I started to curse my poor judgement. Was this going to sidetrack me even more? Did I forestall the healing process? Pfffth! Quit yer whinin'! I woke up early today and my knee felt fine! Not too bad, but I do feel I should have used a bit more precaution, or at least stayed in taper-mode to give myself and my knee more time to get closer to 100%. I keep reading sports medicine journals about knee related injuries for runners/cyclists - it's always the same advice: wait until the injured site is pain-free, meaning 100%, before starting up any activity that may compromise the healing process. Sheesh, hey look, I was probably closer to 97% okay? I hate percentages...  they all lie!

So today will be my rest day - although I'm considering an easy walk for a couple miles. I'm incorrigible.

After all this, however, it also brings me to the realization that the Malibu International Marathon will be a no-go for me. I still have it in the back of my mind that I can do it, but I want to enjoy it - and not just to do it. I'm pretty bummed, but you know what? It's all part of the learning process! All-righty-then, no sad faces, just fun, fun, fun! Maybe I'll add a bicycle ride today instead...  ya-hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment